Saturday, January 14, 2012

Failures in freelancing

I answered an ad a few months ago about coloring a graphic novel and I received an email asking what my page rate would be. I  responded by asking to see the artwork to better determine how long each page could take because if it was a crazy George Perez page with a lot of intricate detailed backgrounds it may take me longer than usual to color. I was also curious to see the art to weigh if this was a project I would even be interested in taking on. I was very pleased to find out it was very much the kind of book I would be interested in working on in addition to reading.  The graphic novel is called Going Down and is written by Dan Fozzard  and pencils and inks by Ron McCain.  Dan described Going Down to me as thus:
        " Going Down is based loosely on the journey Dante took as described in his 13th Century epic poem the Divine Comedy, with the difference that I've added numerous other characters and themes. Students of Greek mythology, the Bible, Buddhism, Islam even Swedenborg will see parallels in the Hell I've created. The Characters range from the old familiar Charon- Hell's ferryman to Moby Dick's Captain Ahab and contemporary Ernest Hemingway, Religious fanatics Jim Jones and sex symbol of the Silver Screen, Mae West."

These were the two pages I colored for Dan to try out for the job. I didn't get the job (cue the sad trumpet sound) but I liked the colors I chose for these pages. I do not know who is publishing the book but I look forward to seeing its release this year.




No comments:

Post a Comment