Saturday, November 1, 2014

Evolution of a double page spread

Neat. I discovered a picture I took of my two page spread from Colonial Comics when it was still in the pencil stage. The xxxx's represent where the entire area was to be completely covered in India ink. This spread was a rarity for me in that I already had the image firmly cemented in my mind and so I didn't really do preliminary sketches beforehand as I usually do. I pretty much got Eliot's pose down on the first take. You can see an inked page from the story in the upper right hand corner of the photo. And in the upper left hand corner is my copy of Charles Burns' graphic novel Black Hole which I was referring to for another project to emulate Burns' inking style. I'll post some pictures of those pages when I am finished with that project.

 

And then the inks were laid down


Then the colors

And then the text is added.


And finally it is printed in the book. Viola! A finished double page spread! I've heard from the book's editor, Jason Rodriguez that people really love the smell of this two page spread. All that ink!

No comments:

Post a Comment